Major research fields
Synthetic Polymer Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Supramolecular Chemistry
Our research group focuses on syntheses of high-performance organic materials on the basis of synthetic organic chemistry. We create the next-generation functional polymers, oligomers, macromolecules, dendrimers, cyclic compounds, conjugated compounds, and ordered molecular aggregates. In addition, our research is devoted to the studies on correlation between the structures of the obtained compounds and their properties such as their optoelectronic properties. On the contrary, we design the molecular structures theoretically to create the functional compounds and polymers. As a representative example, we have recently constructed optically active conjugated systems, which include small molecules, oligomers, polymers, and macrocycles, by using planar chiral cyclophane skeletons. We developed novel and practical optical resolution methods of cyclophane compounds, and employed them as chiral scaffolds to construct optically active conjugated systems as well as optically active higher-ordered structures in their aggregates and thin films. The obtained macromolecules based on planar chiral cyclophanes exhibit unprecedented luminescence behaviors, i.e. circularly polarized luminescence with both high dissymmetric factors and quantum efficiencies; they are promising candidates for 3D display devices, quantum cryptography systems, bio-imaging proves, and so on.
Major relevant publications
- σCarborane-based Anthracene: A Variety of Emission Behaviors Naito, H.; Morisaki, Y.; Chujo Y. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54(17), 5084-5087 (DOI: 10.1002/ anie.201500129R1).
- Planar Chiral Through-space Conjugated Oligomers: Synthesis and Characterization of Chiroptical Properties Morisaki, Y.; Inoshita, K.; Chujo Y. Chem.–Eur. J. 2014, 20(27), 8386-8390 (DOI: 10.1002/chem.201402930).
- Planar Chiral Tetrasubstituted [2.2]Paracyclophane: Optical Resolution and Functionalization Morisaki, Y.; Gon, M.; Sasamori, T.; Tokitoh, N.; Chujo Y. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136(9), 3350-3353 (DOI: 10.1021/ja412197j).
- π-Electron-system-layered Polymer: Through-space Conjugation and Properties as a Single Molecular Wire Morisaki, Y.; Ueno, S.; Saeki, A.; Asano, A.; Seki, S.; Chujo Y. Chem.–Eur. J. 2012, 18(14), 4216-4224 (DOI: 10.1002/chem.201103653).
- Synthesis of Enantiomerically Pure P-Stereogenic Diphosphacrowns and Their Palladium Complexes Morisaki, Y.; Imoto, H.; Hirano, K.; Hayashi, T.; Chujo Y. J. Org. Chem. 2011, 76(6), 1795-1803 (DOI: 10.1021/jo1024442).