Major research fields
Coordination Chemistry, Photochemistry, Structural Chemistry
Metal complexes composed of metal cation(s) and ligand(s) are fascinating materials to create new properties and functions. My research focuses on the development of the chemistry concerning photofunctionality based on various metal complexes. One of current major themes is “Soft crystals: flexible response system with high structural order”. You may imagine crystals are hard and stable materials like diamond and quartz that are distinct from liquids and polymers. However, “soft crystals” respond to gentle stimuli such as vapor exposure and rubbing but maintain their structural order and exhibit remarkable visual changes in their shape, color, and luminescence. In my laboratory, we have been developing such soft crystals based on the metal-metal interactions, π/π interactions, and hydrogen bonds using luminescent Pt(II) complexes. Another theme is “Fabrication of novel 3d-metal complexes exhibiting intense luminescence and stimulus responsiveness”. For effective utilization of elements, it is important to develop new functional materials using inexpensive and abundant elements. Our laboratory also focuses on the fabrication of Cu(I) and other 3d-metal complexes exhibiting intense luminescence as the next-generation emissive materials that replace expensive noble metal complexes.
Major relevant publications
- D. Saito, T. Ogawa, M. Yoshida, J. Takayama, S. Hiura, A. Murayama, A. Kobayashi, and M. Kato*, "Intense Red-Blue Luminescence Based on Superfine Control of Metal-Metal Interactions for Self-Assembled Platinum(II) Complexes", Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, 59, 18723–18730. DOI: 10.1002/anie.202008383.
- M. Kimura, M. Yoshida*, S. Fujii, A. Miura, K. Ueno, Y. Shigeta, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato*, "Liquid-liquid interface-promoted formation of a porous molecular crystal based on a luminescent platinum(II) complex", Chem. Commun. 2020, 56, 12989–12992. DOI: 10.1039/d0cc04164e.
- H. Matsukawa, M. Yoshida, T. Tsunenari, S. Nozawa, A. Sato-Tomita, Y. Maegawa, S. Inagaki, A. Kobayashi, M. Kato*, "Fast and stable vapochromic response induced through nanocrystal formation of a luminescent platinum(II) complex on periodic mesoporous organosilica", Sci. Rep. 2019, 9:15151. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-51615-w.
- T. Ogawa, W. M. C. Sameera, D. Saito, M. Yoshida, A. Kobayashi and M. Kato*, "Phosphorescence Properties of Discrete Platinum(II) Complex Anions Bearing N-heterocyclic Carbenes in the Solid State", Inorg. Chem. 2018, 57, 14086–14096. (Supplementary Cover Art) DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.8b01654.
- P. Kar, M. Yoshida, Y. Shigeta, A. Usui, A. Kobayashi, T. Minamidate, N. Matsunaga and M. Kato*, "Methanol-triggered Vapochromism Coupled with Solid-state Spin Switching in a Ni(II)-quinonoid Complex", Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2017, 56, 2345–2349. (Back Cover) DOI: 10.1002/anie.201611085.