1889 Establishment of Kwansei Gakuin in Kobe
Kwansei Gakuin was established in 1889 by the South Methodist Episcopal Church of the United States, whose leader in Japan at that time the Reverend Walter Russell Lambuth. Initially consisting of only two schools, Kwansei Gakuin now boasts eleven undergraduate and thirteen graduate schools, in addition to an impressive array of research institutes and laboratories, and affiliated kindergarten, elementary, junior, and senior high schools. Throughout these different segments, a single goal is pursued: the training of learners as prospective leaders of society through advanced education that is based upon Christian principles and ideals.
1929 Move to the new campus in Uegahara, Nishinomiya.
1961 Establishment of School of Science
In commemoration of its 70th anniversary, Kwansei Gakuin established the School of Science, comprising of new Physics and Chemistry departments, and attracting an inaugural enrollment of 110. Although modest, the school enjoyed a nationwide reputation for prominent academic accomplishments.
1989 Centennial anniversary of Kwansei Gakuin
1995 Opening of the Kobe-Sanda campus
The year 1995 saw a new addition to Kwansei Gakuin University: the School of Policy Studies was inaugurated in the University's newly opened Kobe-Sanda campus in the rapidly developing residential city of Sanda, just north of Kobe.
1997 Establishment of Advanced Research Center of Science (ARCS)
As part of the Private University Research Promotion Project, under the auspices of the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture, ARCS was established at the Kobe-Sanda campus, where two five-year-long research projects were carried out, continuing until March 2002. Both culminated in great successes.
2001 Move to the Kobe-Sanda campus
The School of Science moved from the Uegahara campus to the Kobe-Sanda campus, in search of an environment more conducive to teaching and research. Building upon the successes at Uegahara, the Kobe-Sanda campus has facilitated departmental development, both in terms of increased enrolment, and greatly improved educational and research opportunities for learners and faculty alike.
2002 Addition of the Departments of Bioscience and Informatics into the School of Science and Technology, renamed from the School of Science
In the face of new and growing modern social problems, the School of Science was proud to see this expansion in educational and research fields, and growth in faculty. In 2002, the School took a great step towards our vision for the future when these two new departments, accompanied by a new Mathematics division within the existent Physics Department, saw the School renamed the “School of Science & Technology.” The increased scope, determination, and ambition was also represented in the expansion of facilities, when a new building including state-of-the-art equipment was commissioned and completed at the Kobe-Sanda campus. This ensured that the School’s new home would be more than capable of accommodating its proud traditions and considerable aspirations.
2009 Addition of the Departments of Mathematical Sciences and Human System Interaction
This year saw the evolution of the previously sub-departmental Mathematics division into a new Department of Mathematics, representing genuine success and growth, and the establishment of a new Department of Human Systems Interaction, allowing for greater investigation into the interactions between humans and machines/materials. In addition, the Department of Bioscience reorganized courses into Molecular Bioscience and Biomedical Chemistry, facilitating enriched research programs in Medical Science and Pharmacology respectively.
2011 Celebration of the Golden Jubilee of the School
2012 Opening of the International Masters Program
2015 Addition of the Departments of Nanotechnology for Sustainable Energy, Applied Chemistry for Environment, and Biomedical Chemistry
In a truly exciting development that speaks volumes as to the commitment of this institution to a brighter future for all, 2015 has seen the establishment of three new departments, such that substantial contributions to the fields of “Green Innovation” and “Life Innovation” can be undertaken.
This brief timeline of the past and present of our institution makes clear both a proud tradition, and a commitment to expansion and development for a brighter future. This expansion clearly and unambiguously demonstrates the social contribution commitment inherent in our motto: “Mastery for Service”.
The School of Science and Technology has seen a substantial increase in enrolment with a parallel expansion in faculty from 54 in 2002, to 145 in 2015. This expansion includes three additional assistant professors working within the International Masters Program, and eleven additional Instructors of English as a Foreign Language.
Our careful search for new staff members has allowed us to swell our ranks of committed and able professionals, whilst maintaining our determination to preserve the research successes and welcoming environment that has been the basis of our proud and distinguished history. Looking back to that original intake of 110 freshman, over five decades ago, it is a source of huge pride that while the school has been transformed in terms of size and scope, the original principles remain as strong as ever, at the forefront of everything we do.
Current Departmental Student Enrolment is as Follows:
|Nanotechnology for Sustainable Energy||80|
|Applied Chemistry for Environment||80|
|Human System Interaction||80||25||2|
|International Masters Program||-||6||-|