Taken from Galatians 5:13, this Biblical phrase, "Through love serve one another", has been the School's motto since its foundation in 1961. The calligraphy was done by Mrs. Ineko Kojima, the mother of Dr. Yoshio Ojima, Professor Emeritus at the School of Science, Kwansei Gakuin University.
Kwansei Gakuin was established in 1889 by the South Methodist Episcopal Church of the United States, whose leader in Japan was the Reverend Walter Russell Lambuth. Although it was started with only two schools, it has now grown into one of the leading private institutions for advanced learning in Japan with eleven undergraduate schools, thirteen graduate schools, several research institutes and laboratories, along with the associated elementary, kindergarden, junior and senior high schools. The goal which all segments of Kwansei Gakuin share is to train its students as prospective leaders of society through advanced education based on Christian principles and ideals.
Kwansei Gakuin originated in Kobe in 1889 and moved to the present Uegahara campus in Nishinomiya in 1929. It continued to play an increasingly important role in educating many youths in Japan for over a half century, celebrating the centennial anniversary of its foundation in 1989. The year 1995 saw a new addition to Kwansei Gakuin University when the School of Policy Studies was inaugurated in the University's newly opened Kobe-Sanda campus in the fast growing residential city of Sanda, just north of Kobe. In 2001 the School of Science moved from the Uegahara campus to the Kobe-Sanda campus in search for a more conducive environment for teaching and research. Just like the Uegahara campus in Nishinomiya, the Kobe-Sanda campus has been making notable progress not just in its enrollment size but in its quality of educational and research opportunities offered to its students and faculty.
In 1961 in commemoration of its 70th anniversary, Kwansei Gakuin established the School of Science which was composed of the departments of Physics and Chemistry, and for 50 years since its foundation, the School enjoyed a nationwide reputation for its prominent academic accomplishments. Coping with the many issues which the modern society is faced with, the School expanded the educational research fields and the faculty. In 2002, the School took a big step forward when it added two new departments, the Departments of Bioscience and Informatics, along with the Division of Mathematics within the existing Department of Physics and renamed itself the School of Science and Technology.
The Department of Mathematical Sciences which is derived from the sub-department of Mathematics within the Department of Physics, and the Department of Human System Interaction which has expanded the field of interaction between human and machines or materials were newly established in 2009. The school divided the Department of Bioscience into the course of Molecular Bioscience and Biomedical Chemistry to enrich the research related with Medical Science and Pharmacology.
The number of each Department is as followings;
|Human System Interaction||80|