Major research activity
My research interests include compilers and design automation of embedded systems. A compiler is one of the system programs that translates programs written in a human legible language into machine programs which computers can read and execute. One of the important aspects in compiler development is optimization capabilities of the compilers, that is, how to make the machine code which the compilers generate more efficient for execution. Another research aspect is compiler's reliability. My research group is now maintaining a test suite named testgen2, a collection of programs to test C compilers, which is available to the public. We are also working on random testing of compilers to detect very hard to find bugs in compilers. As for the other major research topic, design automation of embedded systems, I have been long working on high-level synthesis techniques, which attempts to synthesize logic circuits from a software program, making it possible to generate systems consisting of software and hardware from programs. My research group is now developing a prototype system named "ACAP" which generates Verilog HDL (hardware design language) from C programs via MIPS assembly programs generated from C programs by publicly available compilers.
Major relevant publications
- N. Ito, N. Ishiura, H. Tomiyama, and H. Kanbara: "High-Level Synthesis from Programs with External Interrupt Handling," in Proc. the Workshop on Synthesis And System Integration of Mixed Information Technologies (SASIMI 2015), R1-3, pp. 10-15 (Mar. 2015).
- E. Nagai, A. Hashimoto, and N. Ishiura: "Reinforcing Random Testing of Arithmetic Optimization of C Compilers by Scaling up Size and Number of Expressions," IPSJ Transactions on System LSI Design Methodology, vol. 7, pp. 91-100 (Aug. 2014).
- N. Ishiura, H. Kanbara, and H. Tomiyama: "ACAP: Binary Synthesizer Based on MIPS Object Codes," in Proc. International Technical Conference on Circuit/Systems, Computers and Communications (ITC-CSCC 2014), pp. 725-728 (July 2014).
- T. Fukumoto, K. Morimoto, and N. Ishiura: "Accelerating Regression Test of Compilers by Test Program Merging," in Proc. the Workshop on Synthesis And System Integration of Mixed Information Technologies (SASIMI 2012), pp. 42-47 (Mar. 2012).
- Y. Toda, N. Ishiura, and K. Sone: "Static Scheduling of Dynamic Execution for High-Level Synthesis," in Proc. the Workshop on Synthesis And System Integration of Mixed Information Technologies (SASIMI 2009), pp. 107-112 (Mar. 2009).